Friday, June 29, 2012

What is best in life?

One of my favorite movies from my childhood was Conan the Barbarian. That movie has a scene where Conan is asked, "What is best in life?" 



Not sure the outcome of Conan's philosophy is congruent with a sustainable business model but it makes great theater!

Yesterday I participated in a roundtable discussion with my companies new CEO. It was a chance for him to get to know employees and get first hand feedback. He also used that forum to pitch his vision. He made the convincing argument that what our customers really want is a wonderful experience. The reason why people go to Disneyland, loyally shop at a particular store, Facebook, etc. is because of the experience they have. People want particular goods or services. But they crave having a unique and rewarding experience. That gave me a new perspective on how I judge my work. Does what I do on a day to day basis contribute to or detract from an excellent customer experience? Does what I do on a day to day basis contribute to what is best in the lives of our customers?

No comments:

Post a Comment